Congratulations! We look forward to offering in-person graduation and celebrating with you! This post contains important graduation ceremony instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: We continue to work with the Lincoln Lancaster County Health Department and all plans are subject to change based on guidance from them. We will continuously re-evaluate our ceremony plans with LLCHD based on conditions and communicate with you if there will be any changes. We will follow the LLCHD guidelines for events to help keep students and staff safe and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through all the details.
Attending the Ceremony
The 2020 Lincoln East Commencement is scheduled for Saturday, July 25th, at 1:30 p.m. at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Tickets will be required to attend commencement. Each graduate will be allocated a group of 6 tickets with assigned seats to attend the ceremony. These tickets were randomly assigned throughout all three tiers of seats according to the seating chart provided by the Pinnacle Bank Arena staff.
Tickets will be available for pick up at East High School during the following distribution times:
- Wednesday, July 15th – 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 17th – 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Tickets can be picked up by graduates, or a parent/guardian who is listed on Synergy.
Please have only one person come in to pick up tickets to reduce crowding and lines.
Please follow the signs to enter through the front doors and retrieve your tickets from the main office.
Face coverings must be worn by anyone entering the building.
Staff will also be required to wear face coverings.
Students who are unable to attend our commencement ceremony on July 25 may pick up their diploma at ticket distribution on July 15 or July 17, or they may call East at 402-436-1302 to make arrangements to pick up their diploma at school.
Graduates who have not picked up yearbooks may do so when coming to get their tickets. Those who did not purchase a yearbook may add their name to a waiting list in the case there are any extras available. Cost of the yearbook is $60.00.
National Honor Society Members
If you wish to purchase an NHS Medallion for the ceremony, you will need to purchase it when you pick up your tickets for commencement. The cost for NHS members is $13.00.
Additional Important Information
- On the day of graduation, Pinnacle Bank Arena staff will be on hand to assist any person(s) needing accommodated seating. Please communicate with them upon arrival.
- Before leaving home, if you answer yes to any of these symptoms please stay home:
- Fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Repeated muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- If you, anyone in your household, or anyone you have had close contact with have recently tested positive for COVID-19, please stay home.
- Paid parking is available in the parking garages near Pinnacle Bank Arena to the south.
- In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Pinnacle Bank Arena will enforce its Clear Bag Policy during Lincoln Public Schools graduation ceremonies.
- Doors will open one hour before the ceremony (12:30 p.m.). Please enter the main doors on the south side of Pinnacle Bank Arena (off R Street) and follow directions to the seating area.
- Students should plan to arrive on the main floor at 1:00 p.m..
- Face coverings for students, staff, family and guests will be required.
- When students arrive, ushers will help them find their name card on their assigned chair (alphabetical order) and have a seat.
- Students, when directed, will take the card on their chair with them to the stage and hand it to the reader as they enter the stage.
- Staff will work with students prior to the ceremony on name pronunciations.
- The in-person ceremony will be livestreamed on the Lincoln Public Schools website and the LNK TV Education Channel.
The ceremony will include presentations by Graduation Speakers, Board of Education members, and members of the Executive committee, but will not include singing performances by music groups from East.
When it is time to begin ushering students up to the stage to receive their diploma:
- Students will be given instructions for entering and exiting the stage. Staff will be available to help guide and assist students.
- Professional pictures will be taken as students enter the stage and as students exit the stage.
- As students exit the stage and finish having their photo taken, staff will be at nearby tables to hand students their graduation packets that contain their diploma and any awards they have earned for their academic and activity achievements. PLEASE DO NOT DISCARD THIS PACKET—it contains items which cannot be duplicated inside. Only 1 diploma is awarded to the graduate. If the diploma is lost, the graduate can request a Final Transcript which will have the graduation date listed. Final transcripts will be available through East High School for 1 year following graduation. A reminder to parents: Once a student graduates, parents can no longer request transcripts.
- Students will then return to their assigned seats until the awarding of diplomas is completed.
- At the end of the ceremony, ushers will dismiss students starting from the back of the seating area to the arena exit.
- To help with reducing the amount of congestion and help with physical distancing, families and guests will be dismissed by row starting at the top in each level to exit the arena.
- As a family, it will be helpful to plan a location to meet together outside after the ceremony.
Be a Positive Participant
We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to be together for this ceremony. Please give uninterrupted attention and be respectful during the speakers, throughout the issuing of diplomas and for the duration of the event. This is an important milestone in your academic career and the expectation is that everyone will avoid actions that cause disruptions or distractions and that everyone will represent themselves, their family and East High School with dignity and class throughout the ceremony. Students who are unable to adhere to the behavior expectations will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
- Participating graduates must wear the traditional graduation gowns, caps and tassels. We ask all students to dress appropriately as this is a dignified, formal ceremony to celebrate work done by the class of 2020 to meet the graduation requirements set forth by Lincoln Public Schools.
- Caps and Gowns should remain neat, without any tape or writing on them.
- Tassels should be worn over the right side to begin the ceremony
- Please leave purses or bags at home.
- Face coverings will be required.
- Nuisance items will not be allowed in the arena.
General Graduation Tips
For those attending, here are some tips to help ensure you fully enjoy the event:
- Please be patient. We are very appreciative of this opportunity to celebrate together, but some aspects will require patience. This works with the actual graduation ceremony and all the activities surrounding it: Friends and family who want those extra pictures, drivers who want to merge into your lane, students who take too long to get ready, and so forth. All will be well, this will be a great day!
- Traffic could be busy and slow in the downtown areas. Give yourself plenty of time to get to, park and walk to the venue. Doors open one hour prior to the ceremony.
- Identify the best parking places and directions to those parking spaces (especially those one-way streets).
- Enjoy! This is a once-in-a-lifetime event for our graduating seniors.
The students in the class of 2020 have provided excellent leadership during their time as a Spartan and are now ready to continue their journey beyond our doors. We have always had a wonderful, formal ceremony and we have no doubt that will be our experience once again. We look forward to seeing you all on the afternoon of July 25th at commencement!
Please call us at 402-436-1302 if you have questions.
Watch a pre-recorded virtual ceremony on 10/11’s MeTV Channel
In addition to the in-person ceremonies, pre-recorded virtual ceremonies featuring every LPS Class of 2020 graduate and scheduled speakers will air on Sunday, July 26, on 10/11’s MeTV channel.
The pre-recorded virtual graduations will follow the original graduation schedule:
- Northeast High School at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
- Southwest High School at 1:30 p.m.
- East High School at 3:00 p.m.
- North Star High School at 4:30 p.m.
- Southeast High School at 6:00 p.m.
- Lincoln High School at 7:30 p.m.