We will get you the most current information we can pertaining to your student, East High School, classes/learning and events. We ask you to pay attention to the LPS website, along with the East High Website for information as information regarding the 2020/2021 School Year is fluid and changes.
- Week of October 5- Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences (Change in Date)
- Week of October 12- College and Career Week for Seniors
- Thursday, October 15- End of First Quarter
- Friday, October 16- No School (Fall Break) (End of A/B Schedule)
- Monday, October 19- First day of Second Quarter (Return to Traditional 5 day Schedule)
- Wednesday, October 21- Picture Retakes 8:00am-2:00pm
- Thursday, October 22- Picture Retakes 8:00am-2:00pm
- Monday, October 26- Virtual Parent Teacher Conferences (Change in Date)
- Monday, November 2nd & 3rd – No School for East High Students
- Thursday, November 5th – Early Release as East Hosts State Volleyball
Parent Teacher Conferences – Week of October 5th
In lieu of in-person conferences, staff will be at school making phone calls during the week of October 5th and sending out email updates to families during this time. If you would like to personally connect with your student’s teachers, please reach out to them via email or phone. In the end, you can expect to receive at least one form of communication regarding your student’s progress in their courses from their teachers. There are multiple ways for you to learn more about how things are going at school. Please see below for details about how you can stay connected to your student’s progress this term.
The quickest way to check student progress is to look over grades and attendance in the Synergy ParentVue application. Here you will find assignments that have been turned in, the corresponding grades, which assignments are missing, and the overall course grade.
Class websites are also available through Synergy ParentVue. Each course website provides you with access to the course syllabus, an overview of the course, assessment practices and information about the course objectives.
Please contact the Main Office if you do not have ParentVue access- 402-436-1302 Option 2.
Students all have access to Google Classroom for their courses. Parents do not have direct access to Google Classroom, however, one way to learn more about the work your student is doing in their classes is to have them show you their Google Classroom space. If you notice that assignments are missing on Synergy ParentVue, ask your student to show you their work on Google Classroom.
Looking over your student’s Synergy grade book and attendance will give you a good snapshot of their progress in their courses. Taking the time to sit down with them and go over their grades, and look through their Google Classroom is a great way to discuss what they are doing well and where they may need to make some improvements. Doing this may also generate some questions that you would like to communicate with your student’s teacher about.
Course Specific Updates
Teachers will send a general email to all families of students who are doing well and on track to earn a passing score in the course at this point in the term. This email will include some basic information about the course, and may include a preview of some important upcoming projects, assessments or due dates along with any other pertinent information about how to be successful in the course.
Staff will also engage in targeted outreach efforts to partner with families of students who may not be on track to be successful in their courses. These efforts will focus on what teachers are seeing in class along with guidance about how to get back on track before the end of the term. This may include updates on in class behaviors, missing assignments, attendance updates and details about their content proficiency based on their assessments so far.
Please know that families are always invited to reach out to our staff to ask questions, receive updates or set up a time to discuss student progress. That has not changed. Good communication has never been limited just to parent teacher conferences. Please feel free to call or email your student’s teachers anytime you have questions or concerns about how they are doing in their classes.
Please don’t hesitate to contact our main office if you have any questions at 402-436-1302.
First Quarter Return from Remote Learning
Students that are currently in the Z group, 100% Remote Learning, but will be returning to in-person learning for the second quarter, must notify the Registrar before returning to school. Beginning October 14, please contact the Registrar during office hours a minimum of one school day prior to your student’s planned return, so that we can process the change. Requests are processed during office hours Monday-Friday.
Students who do not intend on changing their group for the second quarter do not need to contact the office.
Oct. 12-15 is College and Career Week for Seniors. College Reps will be zooming to help with College Applications! Staff will be encouraged to discuss careers as related to their class. Watch for more information to come. Juniors and Seniors are invited to meet with College Reps—the counseling center has set up zoom meetings with reps, check out this video to find out more!
Have questions or what to find out more about the East High School Counseling Program? CLICK HERE!
Due to the pandemic, the USDA is federally funding breakfast and lunch at no charge to all students while the federal funding lasts. All LPS students in preschool – 12th grade and Independence Academy students will be offered breakfast and lunch at no charge starting Monday, September 14, 2020. A la carte food items including milk and second entrees will still be available to purchase with money in the meal account or cash. LPS will communicate when the program is coming to an end for families to plan around breakfast and lunch purchases.
100% Remote Learner Meal Distribution Sites
Lincoln High [map]
2229 J St, Lincoln, NE 68510
Door Number 3 on the East Side of the building
Lincoln North Star [map]
5801 North 33rd St
Door Number 10 on the West side of the building
Lincoln Southeast [map]
2930 S 37th St, Lincoln, NE 68506
Door Number 18 on the East side of the building
East High School Library
Keeping Track of Library Books
Would you like to help your student keep track of the books they have checked out from the school library? Here’s how:
- Begin at portal.lps.org
- Have your student enter their ID and password
- Select “Destiny Discover” from the alphabetical listing in the portal.
- From the upper right hand corner of the screen, select login and select Log in using your account with LPS Portal.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the Destiny Discover page select the icon with the three parallel lines.
- Select “Checkout” from the dropdown menu to see the books that are currently checked out.
- Remember that some of the books that your student has returned won’t disappear from their list of checkouts right away because they are being quarantined for 72 hours.
Digital Citizenship Tips
At the beginning of the school year, all LPS students review Chromebook expectations and the Responsible Use Agreement (RUA) for Chromebook use. Click here to learn more about Chromebook use in LPS and to review the expectations outlined in the RUA. Here are some questions to start a conversation at home about Chromebook expectations:
- How do you take care of your Chromebook?
- When can you use your Chromebook
- What settings can you change on your Chromebook?
Academic Support for All Students
East offers academic support for all students throughout the day. Staff is available during the lunchtime in Lunch Hubs! During the first 10 or last 10 minutes of periods 4, 5 & 6, teachers are available for help with homework, explaining a concept, practice of an instrument, etc. Need Help? Hop to a Hub!
In addition to Learning Hubs we offer Academic Hour (after school help) on Monday, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. in the Media Center. Academic Hour offers specific help for students in the areas of Math, English, etc. Academic Hour is available in person for all students (A, B and Z students).
Parent/Student Learning Opportunity
Bryan Health is also sponsoring Collin Kartchner speaking virtually at a free event for the community on Monday evening, October 5, from 6:30-8:00. SCIP is promoting this event as part of their Community Awareness Series. Registration is required HERE.
2nd Quarter Changes
Welcome BACK students! Starting Monday, October 19th we will no longer be following the A/B schedule. We will be following the same protocol for entrance into the building (either Door #21, Door #1 or Door #3); releasing students early from the period to ease hallway traffic, expect students to sanitize hands upon entry into the building and each of their classes. Desks/tables will continue to be sanitized after each period.
In anticipation of ending the A/B schedule and welcoming back more students, along with aiding in keeping students safe at lunch, table dividers were added to the long tables in the cafeteria and the south concourse. These dividers will allow students to sit across from one another and will allow more students to sit in our cafeteria eating area. Students may now sit across from another as well as side by side. Students are expected to replace their face covering when they are finished eating their food.
PLC Days will now be every Tuesday, starting 10/20. On Tuesdays, we will release students from school at 2 p.m. Students are expected to leave the building after dismissal. If they have after school activities or are working with staff after PLC, they may be in the south concourse OR the media center.
Dropping Off/Picking Up Students
As we welcome back more students for the 2nd Quarter, following the traffic guidelines becomes even more important. Please review the drop off/pick up procedures below.
- Please use the Seacrest lot or the 3 Student Drop Off areas (labeled on map) when stopping to drop off students.
- Students may enter the building beginning at 7:15 a.m.
- Where a student arrives at school determines where they will enter the building:
- If you park or walk up from Seacrest Lot – students enter through Door 21
- If you are dropped off in the main loop – students enter through Door 1
- If you are dropped off at the West cutout – students enter through Door 3
- Do not park or stop in the flow of traffic.
- There is no student drop off or student parking in the South lot.
- Please proceed as far as possible to the front of the cut-out before stopping.
- Unauthorized vehicles parked in staff areas are subject to ticket and/or towing. • Traffic flow is heaviest from 7:20a.m. – 8:00 a.m. please plan accordingly.
- Please model courtesy and patience for our students.
- All students, not involved in an after-school activity, should be picked up by 3:15 p.m.
- There is NO PARKING on Teton Drive entering off 70th Street.
- Traffic flow is one-way to the North in front of the West cutout during drop off/pickup.